Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tilling is Complete!

Yep, it stopped raining long enough for our wonderful neighbour Bill Van Duin to pop over with his tractor and do the final tilling of all 4 gardens. Now it may not seem like a big deal to most of you, but hand digging or even roto-tilling an acre takes days and he was able to get it done in a matter of minutes. I doubt it took even an hour. He snuck over while I was out getting kids at school. The only evidence were some muddy tractor tyre tracks leading from my driveway onto the road and then a glorious sight burst upon my view...fluffy level fields ready to be planted! Yay!

I know...give me a bucket to contain my joy!

Well, the greenhouse has officially run out of room for more seedlings so I guess that means the other greenhouse is going to have to pick up the slack. Overnight temp was a meager 3 degrees but 8.3 inside the greenhouse just before the sun came up. Having chicks in there definitely helps keep it warmer and they love the room. The chicks we bought at the auction on Saturday are doing really well. All eating and drinking and so far no losses. Pics will follow soon. Steve is going to work on a chicken tractor today for some of the layers and then we'll tweak the design for meat birds.

Due to the current lack of broiler hatching eggs, we cannot seem to get meat chicks anywhere. Our order has been delayed yet again until the end of May. Apparently the shortage is continent wide. I think I'll keep a few hens and a rooster back this time and start hatching out my own chicks instead of buying them.

The tomatoes in the greenhouse are doing well and it looks like we'll have several hundred plants to sell at the farmers market in Qualicum. Peppers too if we're lucky. What do you guys think is a fair price?

I have to run and feed critters and take kids to school. It's field trip/swimming day so the girls are excited.

Oh, the salad box I planted is all up. Spinach, lettuce, radishes etc are all growing nicely despite the lack of warm weather.

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment